Friday, July 13, 2012

Last Day Here

       Today is my last day here, in the Dominican Republic. I am excited to go home and see my family and friends, and to have my own house and things but I am also sad to leave this country, all the amazing new friends I have met, and my family here. I don't have a ton to say that I haven't already said throughout this blog, but I knew I should write something little before leaving. The only thing  left I have to do is a dinner with the whole study abroad group tonight, and then head to the airport at eleven am tomorrow!
      Overall this trip has been  everything I dreamed it could be. Not only have I learned a lot of Spanish, but I've met amazing people and experienced a whole new culture and way of life. I've learned how to adapt to different situations and work through language barriers. When I get home, I will be much more understanding of people in the United States who can't speak fluent English. Just because someone can't speak you language fluently doesn't mean they aren't smart or that they don't understand things, they are just regular people doing the best they can to communicate. It's not easy being that person, the one who can't always understand what people are saying to you, no matter how much you practice, you can never learn everything and you can never turn into a native speaker in a language that's not your own. It's important to try to understand and appreciate other people's lifestyles and cultures, and accept them for the way they are, because that is what they know and love. If ideas seem different or weird, just remember that other people may think that about things that you do too. All of these are things I have come to realize on this trip and think people should step back and realize too. OK, I'll stop with the words of wisdom now hahaha time to take one last siesta before I go!
Adios!
   
Hoy es último día aquí, en la República Dominicana. Estoy emocionada para ir a mi casa, ver a mi familia y mis amigos, y tener mis propios cosas y hogar, pero estoy triste a salir de este país, mis nuevos amigos, y mi familia aquí. No tengo mucho para decir en este final blog que no he dicho hasta este tiempo, pero sé que debo escribir algo antes de salir. La última cosa que tengo que hacer es cenar con todo el grupo de estudiantes esta noche, y ir al aeropuerto mañana a las once.
       En genial, este viaje ha sido todo que puedo soñado que sería. No solo he aprendido mucho español, pero he conocido a muchas personas asombrosas y he experimentado una cultura completamente nueva y una manera de vida nueva. He aprendido como acostumbrarme a situaciones diferentes y trabajar entre las barreras de lenguas. Cuando llego a casa, seré más compresiva con las personas en los Estados Unidos que no pueden hablar ingles con fluidez. Sólo porque personas no pueden hablar la lengua con fluidez no significa que ellos no son inteligentes o que no entienden las cosas, son sólo gente normal haciendo lo mejor que pueden para comunicarse. No es fácil ser esa persona, la persona que no siempre pueden entender lo que personas dicen, no importa cuanta práctica tienes, nunca puedes aprender de todo y que nunca puedes convertirse en un hablante nativo en un idioma que no es suya . Es importante que trates de entender y apreciar los estilos de vida de otras personas y culturas, y aceptarlas, porque eso es que otras personas conocen y aman. Si las ideas parece diferente o extraño, simplemente recordar que otras personas pueden pensar que las cosas que haces también son raros. Todas estas son cosas que se he dado cuenta en este viaje y que la gente debería dar un paso atrás y darse cuenta también. OK, voy a dejar con las palabras de sabiduría ahora jajaja tiempo para tomar una última siesta antes de que yo vaya!
¡Adiós!

No comments:

Post a Comment